Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Manhattan Temple Trip...
When we moved out here to Long Island I got put in the Young Women's program. I haven't been in Young Women's since I was in Young Women's ten (+) years ago. Its been fun and exciting, and so far I'm loving it. One of my favorite things we've been able to do so far, is take a trip into the city to do baptisms for the dead at the Manhattan Temple.
We woke up bright and early, picked up our girls, and drove in. It was such a beautiful morning, and there was an amazing spirit in the temple. After, we walked across to Lincoln Center Farmer's Market and grabbed a quick bite. We ate at the waffle truck, Waffles & Dinges and it was so yummy. It was more like a thick donut than a waffle. Some people got Biscoff spread on theirs (Mmmm!) but I settled on the traditional butter and syrup. The young guy that served us was very interested in the temple. He said he sees people dressed up nicely going inside all day long, and wondered what it was. We told him to walk over and check it out - since the temple also serves as the Stake Center and Family History Center - and see for himself.
Its been nice being out here in the "Mission Field". I'm not the type to shove my religion down people's throats, but with Romney running for President, and the Mormon Church in the headlines so often, its been a neat experience to be a spokesperson, per-say, and an example for what the church really stands for, and not just what the media makes us out to be.
Some quick facts I learned about the Manhattan temple: It is a building within a building, so it is extremely quiet. You can't hear any car horns, sirens, people, etc. Also, all the door handles are torches symbolizing the Statue of Liberty. Very beautiful detail, and a great tribute to the city of New York.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment