Back before school started, I decided to try out "Free Day" at the Bronx Zoo. We took advantage of all the free day's in LA, and while, yeah, they were busier than normal, they were never out of control or too much to handle. That being said, this free day was out of control, and way too much to handle!
We drove into the city that morning and arrived before noon. The parking lot was already full so I had to drive several blocks away and pay for parking in a "private" lot right by some project housing. (I hope my parents aren't reading this...they might flip!) The Bronx isn't touristy like Manhattan, so even the walk to the zoo was a little bit nerve-racking. I was busting a move to the zoo like no other.
We arrived to complete mayhem! Anybody and everybody could come in, and anybody and everybody did come in. Transients found a new bench for the day, hoodlums found a new hood for the day, and every school kid within access to the zoo was most likely there. There I was, with Remmy in the bijorn, and my other two in the double BOB at a standstill. I literally couldn't get through at times. New Yorkers aren't exactly discrete either, so people would be looking at me from four feet away and say, "What does she think she's doing? How is she going to get that huge stroller through?" I was thinking the exact same thing.
It didn't help matters that the second we arrived all of us had to use the restroom in an urgent way. We searched out the nearest bathroom (one of THREE in the entire zoo) and found the line out the door, and down the sidewalk. No strollers were going in those bathrooms either, especially a double-wide, so I collected all my belongings and strung them from me like a coat rack. Don't picture, or do, me trying to use the restroom in one stall with all my belongings hanging off me, while my babe hung off the front. Too much info...sorry, it helps explain why this day was such an epic fail in my book.
We'd been at the zoo for over an hour and a half by this point and hadn't seen one animal. Finally, we stumbled upon the polar bear, a spot opened up (that I could fit in) and we saw....um, a green polar bear? "Mom, why the polar bear green?" - Dieter "I have no idea buddy!" - me
The rest of the day followed suit. We averaged about 1.5 animals per hour, but to be honest, the people watching was probably better anyway. Nicki Minaj look-a-like?! Yes, please.
The best thing is, my kids favorite part of the whole day was the lego animals exhibit! They didn't need to see any live animals to make the day great. The lego animals were perfect for them. Plus, they could touch them. Leave it to my kids to always see the silver lining. Kids are the best. They don't notice the sweat running down your face, or the worry lines forming on your forehead, they just have fun even if it means standing on the top of the stroller to catch a glimpse of a giraffe's head, or the back of a gorilla.
So, the moral of the story is...fork out the money and skip the free day!
Oh, and Remmy was there...being the perfect little baby that she is! I think she had a good time. What do you think?

.jpg)









3 comments:
This had me laughing just picturing the chaos. Your such a good momma for even trying! Keep posting its fun to see your kids grow up even if we are on opposite sides of the country. Hope your adjusting to your new place and that we will get to catch up over the holidays!
Lindsay I can't stop laughing...wow! I have felt this way so many times and have heard so many people say the same thing- oh it is awesome. Just smile and wave. :) Lovely documentary. :) You go girl!
My family and I go to the Bronx Zoo every year since I was born... 20 years in a row. And, I wish I would have know you were going because we learned early to NEVER to go on a Wednesday!It really is a great Zoo and I hope you get to go back again and have a better experience!
Post a Comment