My sweet grandma Nonnie passed away on October 13. I'm so glad my dad was inspired to fly me up Tuesday night so I could spend Wednesday sitting by her with my mom. She passed away early Thursday morning. This lady was the ultimate grandma. I have so many wonderful memories with her playing at the beach in San Diego, watching the Sea World fireworks, fresh squeezed orange juice every morning, walks to the farmer's market, beautiful music when she played on the piano (her acrylic nails always tapped as she played), delicious sugar cookies and caramels, games of dominos and skip-bo, and many many more. She always had treats around her house, and I'm positive that's where I got my sweet tooth. She was loving, thoughtful, and never missed a birthday (where she'd always send crisp new money and a See's gift card).
I will miss her so much, but I'm happy she's in a better place where she is reunited with her husband, daughter, and grandsons.
After the services in UT, we flew down to Arizona to have her burial. Mitch was able to meet up with us after being apart for 12 days. Although it was sad to say goodbye, it was really great seeing all of our cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends we don't see very often. I hope my funeral is a party like hers was.

My dad.

Dieter lounging on the couch with his See's sucker.



Since she loved See's, we made sure to have lots and lots of it at each event. It all got eaten up, and it was fun to watch the little kids run around with chocolate all over their hands and faces.

My parents and their good friends the Barkers.





I feel very blessed to have been able to be so close to my sweet Nonnie. I have learned a lot about death throughout the last week and I know with a surety that I will see her again. Love ya Non!
5 comments:
oh Linds. I'm so sorry about your cute Grandma. When i heard about it i thought of See's! You have such a darling family. xoxo
Sending hugs and loves. I had to teach in Relief Society the other day and this thought stood out to me so strongly. (My Grandmother is not far behind).
“Irrespective of age, we mourn for those loved and lost. Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment: “Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die.” (D&C 42:45.)
Moreover, we can’t fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life.” Russell M Nelson (The Doors of Death, April 1992)
Lindsay I am so sorry about your grandma! It really is amazing though how much fun funerals are since we get to be with all our family and cherrish the knowledge we get to stay that way through the eternities. I'm glad it was a special week.
Thinking of you and your great family. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like such a wonderful lady!
Sorry Linds! That last message was from me. My friend used my computer and must have not signed out. Sorry!
Post a Comment