Monday, May 16, 2011

Yosemite...

For our 7th wedding anniversary (May 14) Mitch told me he had something in the works and that he was really excited about it. He should have never told me he was planning a surprise...my senses went into high gear, and I started to snoop. And snoop I did, until I found out he was planning a trip up to Yosemite National Park! Winner!

I held on to the secret for a few weeks until I had to tell him I knew. He figured I'd find out (he has been married to me for 7 years and dated me for 2 more) so he wasn't that bummed out. I was able to help him put the finishing touches on what turned out to be one of our favorite family vacations.

We headed up Thursday morning and found our camp site in the Yosemite Valley. I was seriously in awe as we drove through the tunnel only to discover the amazing view you see above. Unfortunately, pictures just can't do the place justice. You have to see it for yourself at least once, and if you're like us, you'll want to see it again and again.


After setting up our camp, we headed to the Mirror Lake trail for a quick walk before dark. Our kids were instantly in heaven. There's just something about nature that can entertain children for hours. Whether it was kicking dirt, playing with sticks, collecting rocks, or splashing in the water they could have played forever.

The lake was actually just a slower part of a beautiful river made by a natural damn of huge granite rocks. It was beautiful and the kids loved throwing rocks in the water, climbing on one of many giant granite slabs, and just discovering this truly amazing park.





That night we roasted hot dogs and bratwurst over the fire, followed by s'mores. When we checked into the campsite they gave us a huge warning about bears and keeping our food close by and storing it in the bear lockers provided. Mitch and I made sure we kept our camp clean and made sure any spilled crumbs went straight into the fire. So, you can imagine our surprise when we were awoken after midnight by a park ranger informing us we had left out our cooler and there was a bear going through camp. Whoops! We were so focused on the crumbs we had left out the cooler. Ha! That could be some kind of parable.


The next morning we took a walk down to the river and the kids returned to discovery mode. Dieter could have spent all day putting sticks into the holes on the fence or throwing rocks into the flowing river.


"El Capitan"


I love this guy. Truly, I do.



After cleaning up camp, we eagerly awaited the arrival of our friends the Christensens from Sacramento. As soon as they arrived we unloaded the bikes and took a gorgeous 12 mile loop around the Yosemite Valley floor. Everywhere you looked there was a waterfall, or gorgeous peak. It was awesome.



Mitch with "Half Dome" behind him.

"Upper Yosemite Falls"


Me and Marianne in front of Yosemite Falls.

Finnley had the best time playing with Jack and Dane. She has been asking to play with them "tomorrow" everyday since we left. They all got along so well, and it was so fun watching them interact. Its rewarding, in a way, to see your kids getting along with your friend's kids. Almost like the friendship can now continue into the next generation.

PS - Check out Finn's socks with her keen's. That was all her doing. I asked her several times throughout the day if we could take off her socks yet and she would say no. I'm only writing this so when she is 18 and says, "Mom, how could you let us walk around like that" I can say, "Honey, it wasn't me, it was you!"


Mitch and Spencer with the kids.

After lunch and our bike ride, he headed up to "Lower Yosemite Falls". It was a fun, short hike so we brought along the dogs - Tuscan and Quincy. You could hear the roar from the falls all the way across the valley. The Upper Fall is the largest waterfall in the US, and is taller than the Empire State Building. It was incredible. As we got the the base, we started to get colder and colder, and then we were wet. The mist and wind practically blew us away. Again, the pictures don't do the place or circumstance justice, but the kids thought it was the funnest thing ever. They just kept running across the bridge and back until they were soaked.



Marianne and I with one of our many daily Diet Cokes!






We finished up the hike and headed to our cabin in Wawona. Our kids both crashed in the car from exhaustion. They had been playing so hard all day with Jack and Dane. After a yummy dinner, lots of chatting, way to much 20/20, and a good nights sleep, it was on to day three.



Saturday was a bit cooler, which was perfect for the long hike we had planned. We stopped at the "Tunnel View" for a few pictures and to soak in the view as along as we could. Then we headed over to hike to Vernal and Nevada Falls.




We got a few good laughs as Marianne took these Anniversary Shots for us. We discovered that I have a good side and a bad side, and that french toast goes straight to my nose! He, he.


Dieter fell asleep about five minutes into our hike. He didn't want to be in the backpack, but cradled on my shoulder instead. So, Finnley hopped in the backpack and I held Dieter most the way up the steep rugged trail. I was impressed by all the kids for hiking and not complaining. Other people were impressed they made it up to Nevada Falls as well. What good little hikers we had.

Funny Story: Spencer had promised his kids a Slurpee for every squirrel they saw. Finnley quickly hopped on that bandwagon and began spotting squirrels all over the place. She had seven Slurpees before she even asked what one was. I started explaining to her that they are just like ICEE's and that they have a ton more flavors and colors, like pink, purple, blue, etc. She looked and me and shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh, I thought it was a pet." I couldn't help but laugh. I love that little girl. She is seriously hilarious.



It was worth the hike. We had a perfect view of Nevada Falls and Half Dome. Dieter got independent at the top and wanted to walk by himself. We stopped on a granite slope and ate our lunch. Sandwiches, grapes, chips, and snacks. Sandwiches always taste so yummy after a good, hard workout.







Beautiful view of Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls.



Giving Mitch a hug.



Before heading home for the day, we decided to do another quick hike to "Bridal Veil Falls". There are no pictures because it was impossible to take pictures. The falls were so huge that all we saw was a giant cloud of mist, a rainbow, and water. If felt like we were running straight into a storm as we ran up to get a quick view and then ran back. Finn was screaming bloody murder on my back to "turn around" because she was getting so wet. Surprisingly on our way home to Pasadena I asked her what her favorite part of the trip was, and she told me it was running to the waterfall on my back and getting soaked. Silly girl.

Sunday we had planned to wake up and head to Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoias, but we woke up to snow instead. The plow was broken so they closed the road and we weren't able to see them. I was seriously so disappointed. I have always wanted to see the Giant Sequoias. Well, it just gives us a good excuse to make another trip up (which is already in the works) and see those huge trees.

Thanks Mitch for the fabulous Anniversary trip, I couldn't have planned a better one myself. Thank you Christensens for joining us and keeping us laughing. You guys are amazing friends and we love you and your cute kids.

7 comments:

sara b said...

What a TRIP! You've sold me. Can the Bato's meet up with you next time?

Your images are beautiful!

I got a little choked up seeing Dieter in that navy hoody with the red lining....lots of memories of Jack sporting that.

Happy Anniversary....what a perfect way to celebrate!

The Stringham's said...

Happy Anniversary! That looks like SO much fun.
Seriously SO fun. You are such a fun family! We miss you guys.

Kate said...

im sold. Beautiful pictures. we want to join in on the fun next time too.

Happy Anniversary and you guys are a fun family.

Kate said...

(i basically just wrote everything the people above me wrote)

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

that looks like so much fun...congrats on 7 years...
Both your families are darling...cutest kids! Miss you guys

Ashley said...

We need to chat because Kris and I have started planning a trip to Yosemite for this August, but we've never been before so we're a bit lost! I've been to Yellowstone dozens of times, but I could use some advise on where to stay and play in Yosemite.
This post made me SO excited to go, it looks gorgeous!

Poelmans said...

wow i LOVE those pictures. I really want to go there before we move away!