Monday, May 3, 2010

Panama...

As you know, Mitch took a trip with a group from USC down to Panama for the first 10 days of his spring break. He had an amazing experience and took tons of great pictures (over 600)! I had to share some of them with you, and as many of the details I can remember.


You can't visit Panama and not see the Panama Canal! Mitch gave me some interesting facts, which I'll spare you, but said overall it was pretty cool. After a day touring Panama City, they headed out of the city and set up their dental clinics.



I love these photos. The first one of Pehrson showing all the kids pictures and videos of themselves -- something they've never seen before. You can tell by their faces that they thought it was pretty awesome! Second, Mitch handing out Skittles. Each little kid is just waiting around for a few bites of sweetness. How can they live without Skittles?







Would you believe me if I told you these were Cacoa beans? Yep...this is where chocolate comes from. If you can't tell by Pehrson's face, they are pretty bitter at first, but after they ferment for about a week, and then dry out for another week, they finally begin to get their sweet chocolaty flavor. Pretty cool if you ask me!




A few of the cute school kids they worked on. Mitch told me that they only have one pair of shoes, which they wear at school, so they usually walk barefoot to and from school so they don't ruin them. Wow...we have so, so much (most of which we don't need).





The clinics were set up to provide free dental care to the people living in and around the village. This is a great opportunity for students to do procedures they aren't doing yet at school. Mitch was able to administer anesthesia, do restorations, and extractions. It is such a great learning opportunity for the students, but an even better opportunity for the local people to get the services they need.



This little girl is ADORABLE! Look at her sweet, dirty, little fingers cradling those Nibs.
I love that the dental students arrive and immediately start handing out candy to the little kids! That just doesn't seem right! But, the kids were in heaven eating licorice, suckers, and skittles.


Pehrson and Mitch opened up a coconut with a machete and drank the milk...living like the natives!





After the clinic closed, they spent a couple days on an island called Bocas Del Torro. Mitch said it was gorgeous. He said if you want to go somewhere quiet, gorgeous and amazing, and don't care about staying in a nice resort, this would be it. One day he just might have to take me back.



The whole AYUDA group. I am way jealous of this trip. I keep asking Mitch if I can go on the next one...so far its a no go. I'm gonna keep trying though. This is such a great thing he is a part of and I'm really proud of the volunteers and the school for putting together such a great clinic. Next year they get to go to Belize....rough life.

7 comments:

CHRIS and JENNY. said...

LOVE that the dentist are handing out candy!! what an amazing trip! : )

Jamie said...

It looks like they had such a fun time! I better not let Josh see this post. Hope you have fun in NY...Im so jealous!

Stacey Salmon said...

It looks awesome there. Those kids are sooooo cute!!
Stacey

STRINGHAM FAMILY said...

Love the candy...perfect! What a neat experience, so great he got to be a part of it.

the waites said...

what a cool trip! Willie loved seeing this, it makes him miss Auda. I cant get over the amazing photo skills. Im geting a new camera....what is yours exactly, and do you like it???

congrats on the 1/2 you look beautiful, after my races nobody even recognizes me.Im like purple and my hair is wet.

Chelsea said...

How neat, for him and for those sweet kids! It's great that he can have a job that will support your family, and also use it as a great way to serve others. It's crazy, Panama looks a LOT like Dominica!

kate said...

great post! Pehrson said he wants to take me back there someday too. Maybe we can all go together. =]


but really....can we hang out soon? when are you leaving?