Thursday, May 8, 2008

Discovering Moab...

Its been a long time for Mitch and a big NEVER for me, so we decided to discover Moab. It was AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, and so much FUN! Why haven't we been here time and time again? Who knows! Since Mitch and I are leaving Utah, and don't know when we'll be back for a whole summer, we decided we're going to see all the places we talk about and have never been to. So, we planned a last minute trip with the Hopkins down South. They were fabulous tour guides, giving us a small taste of everything and leaving us wanting more. We laughed almost NON-STOP (Mitch and Brad were hilarious), met the most INTERESTING people (think Columbian Rocket Scientist), and saw the most BEAUTIFUL landscapes. Here are a few photos from our trip.

The first morning we woke up and headed to Dead Horse Point. We had conflicting ideas on why the name came about, and discovered it was due to several wild horses accidentally being left up on this plateau, dying of thirst while they overlooked the Colorado River. Kind of gruesome tale, but a beautiful place to visit.
Next, we packed Finnley into the backpack (do you think she liked it?) and headed to Arches National Park. Our first stop was Delicate Arch. It was AWESOME! We took about 50 pictures up there, so bear with me while I post my favorites. It was particularly special being the place that Court fell in love with Brad several years ago. Thanks for letting us share this special place with you two love birds!
Balancing Rock...a pretty cool spot in Arches.
It got pretty chilly at night (30 degrees) so we bundled up and sat around the fire eating smores, talking, laughing, and watching Mitch and Brad make photographs with their head lamps, firesticks and slow shutter speed. Seriously, you won't relate, but Courtnie and I were laughing so hard watching those two.

Court was the only one without a headlamp, so she improvised!
The next day we did a little beginners off-roading in the Jeep and saw Gemini Bridges. This was Mitch's favorite part. The pictures don't do it justice, but lets just say walking around the deep canyons and hole in the rock makes your stomach flutter. All in all, we loved MOAB and can't wait to go back. Anybody want to make a trip??

7 comments:

The Green's said...

So fun!!! It looks like you all had a blast!!! I'm jealous you went camping!!! So I'm serious about goblin valley!!! We will have to talk details when you get home from your fabulous cruise!!! Look at you guys.....the vacation guru's!!!

Chelsea said...

That place is beautiful! I've never been there either... looks like we'll have to make a trip down soon! I'm so sad you're moving... I just got the email from Daph yesterday and I had no idea! That sounds dreamy though, I'm sure it will be a fun adventure. So, do you think you'll just stay down there until Mitch starts school? Good Luck!

Spillane Creative said...

I can't believe you have never been there! That is one of my favorite places in the world. When do you guys move? Any luck selling the house? Ours is still for sale in Park City yuck.

B & C said...

ah...the columbian rocket scientist. he's trying to get them to play 4 seasons up there. and why the *&!@ not? he knows a fast way down, but evidently you can only do it once. which i don't understand, because he does it ALL THE TIME!!

i love special people!

B & C said...

by the way, we'll get some night light photos to you so you can do what you will with them. they are great though!

B & C said...

Lindsay,
I may never forgive you for posting pictures of me in my fat pregnant state!!! Don't worry, I will get you back sometime soon. Watch out!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

KACI JOHNSON said...

When do you guys leave for Dental school? I would love to go to Moab with you guys, but Devin and I won't be back to Utah until September so it might be too late. I would love to go to Moab because like you I haven't ever experienced it. It looks like so much fun!